Oikya Front finally gets permission for Sylhet rally
Sylhet: Jatiya Oikya Front has finally been given permission for holding its rescheduled public rally at the city’s Registry Field on Wednesday.
‘Oikya Front has been given permission for its rally,’ Sylhet Metropolitan Police (SMP) Commissioner Golam Kibria told UNB on Sunday evening, reports the UNB.
Sylhet district unit BNP general secretary Ali Ahmad said they got permission, and they are now taking preparations for holding the rally.
He said Oikya Front leaders will offer fateha at the shrines of Hazrat Shahjalal ® and Shah Paran ® and at the grave of General MAG Osmani, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces during the War of Liberation, in Sylhet on October 24, and then hold the rally.
Earlier in the day, Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader at a programme in the capital said, police gave Oikya Front permission, but its leaders are unnecessarily staging a drama over it as they did not get official letter in this regard.
He also said the Prime Minister instructed them so that everyone can hold rallies without ant restriction.
On Friday, Jatiya Oikya Front leaders at a meeting in the capital deferred its maiden public rally in Sylhet to October 24 as it was denied permission to hold the programme on October 23.
On October 13, BNP together with Dr Kama Hossain-led Jatiya Oikya Prokriya, JSD and Nagorik Oikya launched the Jatiy Oikya Front to press for their seven-point demand, including holding the next polls under a non-party administration.