Biswa Ijtema to begin 13 January

Dhaka: Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan on Thursday said Biswa Ijtema, the second largest congregation of Muslims after Hajj, will begin on the bank of the Turag River in Tongi on 13 January.
The first phase of the Biswa Ijtema will begin on 13-15 January, while the second phase will be held on 20-22 January, the minister told journalists after a meeting on Biswa Ijtema preparation at the Secretariat.
Necessary security measures will be taken for successful holding of the Biswa Ijtema, he said.
Besides, law enforcement agencies, including plainclothes police, Rab, DB, will be deployed at the Ijtema venue to ensure foolproof security of devotees. Close circuit cameras, watch towers and police control boxes will be set up at the Ijtema venue, he added.
The minister said about 20,000 foreign devotees from 101 countries took part in the Biswa Ijtema last year. This year the number of foreign devotees will be even more, he hoped.
Special measures will be taken to ease traffic congestion from Gazipur to Dhaka ahead of Ijtema, he said adding that special train and bus services will be launched for transporting devotees to the Ijtema ground.