Father’s soul will now rest in peace, says Chandan’s daughter

Family members of seven slain members on Monday expressed their satisfaction over the court’s verdict saying through the historic judgment it further proved that none is above the law.
A Bangladeshi court on Monday sentenced 26 persons to death in a sensational seven-murder case in Narayanganj area of the country in 2014.
Expressing her reaction after the verdict of the case, Doctor Susmita Sarker, daughter of murdered Lawyer Chandan Sarker, demanded immediate execution of the court’s order.
She said, ‘My father in his whole life tried to ensure justice for all as a lawyer of the court. At last we got justice.’
Dr Sarker greeted Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, concerned policemen and media people for their role to establish the rule of law.
‘I’m happy over the Judgment . . . We are also grateful to the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina for this,’ Selina Islam Beauty, wife of slain
Narayanganj City Corporation (NCC) ward councilor Nazrul Islam, told BSS in an emotion chocked voice.
She hoped that the higher court will uphold the verdict. She also demanded immediate execution of it.
Former union council chairman Shahidul Islam, also father-in-law of Nazrul, urged the authorities concerned to execute the trial of the verdict within shortest possible time.
‘The killers are not human being. They are like beasts who destroyed many families. The court passed the order of execution of the killers. It rightly did it,’ he said adding, ‘I am glad to know the verdict that read the killers of seven people will be hanged to death.’
None will get the departed ones back but the verdict would give at least a relief of pain for a while, Islam further mentioned.
‘We are happy as the court ensured justice for us . . . We were earlier confused whether the justice would prevail or not,’ Abdul Wahib, father of Ibrahim, driver of Chandan Sarker who was also killed among the seven others in the attack on April, 2014
Talking to newsmen, counsel of plaintiff Advocate Sakhawat Hossain Khan termed the verdict as a victory of common people as well as the lawyers who had been waging agitation for the exemplary punishments of the killers soon after the seven-murder in Narayanganj.
‘I am satisfied with the judgment. Now our demand is to see the execution of the verdict as early as possible,’ he added.
A Narayanganj court on Monday sentenced 26 persons to death including main accused Nur Hossain and three sacked army officers serving in Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) on deputation in the 2014 seven murder case of Narayanganj.
The court also sentenced nine others to different terms in jail finding their involvement in the gruesome murders which sparked a nationwide anger.
Earlier, an intensified security measures were taken in an around the court areas to avert any untoward incident.